The Ideal Candidate:
As a member of our inter-disciplinary team, this position will work under the direction of a dedicated team of Nurses to provide comprehensive quality care to our children. Our Personal Support Workers foster a homelike environment for our residents, celebrating important milestones, engaging children in recreational activities, and providing quality care and support. Our staff embrace kids with complex medical needs and help them make the most of each day.
Core competencies for this position include compassion, empathy, teamwork and communication. A commitment to continual learning is important as The Darling Home for Kids offers training and education opportunities to staff with a focus on skill development within the paediatric complex care field.
Working at The Darling Home for Kids is more than just a job; it is joining a group of dedicated professionals who are devoting their careers to making a difference in the lives of families facing the daily challenges of caring for a child with complex medical needs. From developing a positive rapport with our children to assisting them with activities of daily living, including food preparation, feeding, personal hygiene, and maintaining a clean, safe and welcoming home, our Personal Support Workers are integral members of our team with primary responsibilities to engage our children in unique experiences and to provide them with the best care possible.
Grow With Us:
Embark on our journey with us in our multimillion dollar capital expansion – newly launched in 2020, The Embrace Campaign will expand our walls and increase our ability to provide care for one of the most vulnerable in our community. With plans to build new bedrooms and revitalize both our clinical and therapeutic spaces, we are excited to build more space for the moments that matter.
- Provides care according to each child’s individual plan of care, and ensures that their emotional, spiritual, physical, comfort and safety needs are met to the greatest possible extent;
- Provides personal care to children including assisting with bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, skin care, hair care and toileting;
- Plans meals and prepares food in accordance with Canada’s Food Guide and based on individual food preferences; cooks and provides assistance with eating;
- Performs general housekeeping duties including surface cleaning, mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, emptying garbage cans, washing and folding laundry, bed making and replenishing household supplies;
- Assists with a child’s daily routines, including exercises, religious and cultural practises, and activities of daily living;
- Engages children in activities and assists with the provision of programming including recreational activities, art therapy, hydrotherapy, pet therapy, music therapy and multisensory snoezelen therapy;
- Observes and monitors children; reports behavioural, physical and/or cognitive changes to the Nurse;
- Documents interventions and observations in the child’s chart;
- Performs safe lifts and transfers in accordance with policies and procedures; utilizes mechanical lifts including ceiling track and floor based lift systems;
- Assists children with the use of mobility aids such as wheelchairs, walkers and standers;
- Under the direction of a Nurse, and with proper training, performs delegated acts, such as tube feedings and tip suctioning;
- Accompanies children to appointments and offsite activities as needed;
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of The Darling Home for Kids;
- Maintains the confidentiality of all children, families, volunteers and staff as well as organizational information;
- Adheres to the guidelines under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, including adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions and demonstrating a commitment to ensuring a safe work environment for all workers;
- Attends mandatory team meetings and participates in discussions and/or meetings;
- Performs other related duties as assigned;
- Grade 12 education supplemented with post-secondary education in a related field (i.e. nursing, personal support, child and youth, developmental services, social services)
- Caring, friendly and positive attitude with the ability to establish and maintain rapport with children and families
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Desire to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to organize workload, complete tasks as assigned and follow oral and written instructions
- Understanding of the care requirements of children with special needs
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position: work may include lifting, pulling, carrying and pushing; considerable walking and standing with occasional bending and stooping; may be in frequent contact with water, cleaning and disinfectant solutions. Manual dexterity is needed, as is a preference for routine repetitive tasks
- Knowledge and skill to operate a personal computer
- Experience preparing meals and completing housekeeping tasks
- Paediatric experience required
- Current Safe Food Handling Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR
- Current Safe Management Certificate
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector screening
- Familiarity with the principles of non-verbal communication an asset
Compensation and Benefits:
The Darling Home for Kids offers a comprehensive compensation package, including:
- Hourly wage ($16.50-$21.00/hour)
- Benefits package with employer contribution (health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability)
- RRSP employer matching program
- Education bursary program
- Free parking
- Quiet, peaceful outdoor space with beautiful surroundings, including a trail to walk with the kids or on breaks
- Unique work environment engaging clients in activities including marshmallow roasting, face painting, trail walks, dance parties, spa days, and more
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter must include a brief description of previous experience(s) working with a paediatric population and knowledge of community care.
We thank all applicants for applying, and regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or visits, please. The Darling Home for Kids is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate applicants with disabilities in the recruitment process.