Required skills and experience:
- PSW certification from an approved and recognized educational institution.
- RN/RPN/DSW/HCA/Personal Attendant certification.
- RN or RPN students with a minimum successful completion of 1 year.
- Foreign trained Nurse, Midwife or Physician or Graduate of a paramedic program.
- Must be able to work on weekends (or rotational weekends).
- Ability to read, write and speak English (equivalent to grade 10 level).
- Demonstrated commitment to client and family centred care.
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of physical readiness test to ensure safe work practices are followed including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, push and pulling.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety concerns, communicate effectively using a computer and/ or mobile device. • Requires good judgement, the ability to work independently and work cooperatively with the caregiving team. • Effective problem solving and decision making skills to safely service clients.
- Ability to travel between assignments by public transportation or by car.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification is a definite asset.
- Ability to speak a second language is a definite asset.
- Experience working in the community as a PSW is an asset.
Get more out of your Personal Support Worker career with:
- Real results in the real world. You’ll foster one-on-one relationships with clients to help them achieve more independence over their care and life.
- An organizational culture that drives more outstanding home care through preceptor training, mentorship programs, 24/7 on-call personal support, competitive wages and monthly team meeting to connect with colleagues.
- A job that inspires you to uncover more talent and innovation. You’ll be backed by a supportive leadership team that not only encourages you to creatively problem-solve but empowers you to deliver spectacular care.
Who We Are
Creating opportunities for more independence, it’s what people in the community rely on us for and what VHA Home HealthCare (VHA) has offered for over 90 years. With over 2,700 health care professionals serving clients in seven Local health Integration Networks (LHINs) in the GTA, London, Ottawa and Durham, VHA’s client centered, community based approach provides nursing, rehabilitation, personal support and home support services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our caring, professional team offers spectacular care to Ontario seniors, families, adults and children living with disabilities or suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, helping them live life more independently, in comfort and with dignity.