Abuse Incident Reporting


The Ontario Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, and the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, mandates that anyone in a facility governed under this legislation MUST report incidents of abuse to the Ministry of Long Term Care.

When should I report abuse? A PSW working in Ontario must report when a PSW has reasonable grounds to be harmed by any of the following:

  • improper or incompetent treatment or care,
  • abuse of a resident by anyone,
  • neglect of a resident by a staff member or the owner of the home,
  • illegal conduct,
  • misuse or fraud involving a resident’s money, or
  • misuse or fraud involving public funding provided to the home (long-term care homes only).[1]
Abuse Incident Report Form

Abuse Incident Report Form

Incident: Please use the space provided below to detail the situation that has occurred.

Reports made to the OPSWA using this form will be communicated directly with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, the facility in question and any related parties as required under the Ontario Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 and the Retirement Homes Act, 2010.

Should you like to make a separate report please write to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care at the address below:

Long-Term Care Inspections Branch
Long-Term Care Homes Division
Central Intake, Assessment and Triage Team (CIATT)
119 King St. W, 11th Floor
Hamilton, ON
L8P 4Y7

Other Resources: